Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kind of equipment is recorded in the fixed asset system?

Equipment is recorded in the fixed asset system if it meets the following criteria:

  • It is tangible, non expendable personal property or
  • It is attached equipment (air conditioners, built-in shelving, and built-in projectors)
  • It has an anticipated life of one year or more
  • The acquisition cost is $1,000 or greater (see artwork exception)

System of Several Items: The University may create a system of several items to make one tagged piece of equipment. Examples are purchasing a computer along with a monitor, keyboard and additional memory, or purchasing a copier with paper trays, case of toner, case of paper, set up and training or purchasing a workstation with several units that are bolted together and cannot stand-alone. There would be one cost associated with the “system.”

Artwork exception: All artwork, though not affixed with a permanent tag, are assigned an asset number in the Fixed Asset system, regardless of cost. This exception exists because artwork generally appreciates in value rather than depreciates.

Examples of equipment: Office Equipment, such as computers and copiers, furnishings, scientific apparatus, machinery, library volumes, artwork, motor vehicles, boats, livestock.


2. What do I do if a piece of equipment is stolen or damaged?

In case of loss or damage of equipment, the department sustaining the loss should proceed as follows:

The supervisor of the department or, in his/her absence, another person having line responsibility shall report the theft or damage to the Police Department immediately upon discovery. Regional campuses should report to their respective Police Departments. Off-site locations should make their report to the Storrs Campus Police Department. The following information should be provided:

  • Date and time of loss
  • Date the Police Department was notified of the loss and the name of the complainant
  • Name of department which had custody or control of the asset and the location of the asset
  • The asset stolen or damaged should be identified by University tag number, brand name, model and number, serial number, description of the asset, date of acquisition and vendor
  • Brief description of loss or damage, including type of loss, i.e., fire, vandalism, theft, etc.
  • Origin of damage, if known
  • Estimated dollar value – use of the value as reported on the annual inventory report to the State Comptroller. In the event cash is taken, the amount should be reconstructed as accurately as possible using cash receipt copies, cash register reading and change or petty cash funds advanced to provide documentation as to the source and amount of funds missing
  • The statement “A study of security measures will be instituted and findings acted upon.”

The Police Department will notify the University of Connecticut Office of the Controller. The Controller will notify the State of Connecticut Office of the State Comptroller via the CO-853: REPORT OF LOSS OR DAMAGE TO STATE OWNED REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY with a copy to the department.


3. What do I do with old equipment that is no longer in use?

Central Stores, specifically Surplus Management, administers the University Surplus Program. Per Public Act 91-256, the University of Connecticut has the authority to dispose of surplus, unused and/or unserviceable equipment and supplies. Proper disposal of University property is required pursuant to Section 4a-77a of the General Statutes.

Surplus Management determines if items sent to surplus will be reused or recycled to the University. Information regarding the University Surplus Program may also be found on the web site. To reach Surplus, call 860-486-3094.


4. A piece of equipment needs to be moved from one room to another within our department. Do we need to file a form?

Any movement of equipment to a different department should be documented by submitting Asset Transfer eDoc in KFS. Click here (page 14) for instructions.


5. How can I look up data on a piece of equipment in my department?

In the Kuali Financial System, asset detail may be accessed by using the Asset Lookup or Asset Payment screen.


6. A piece of our department’s equipment is listed on asset detail screen as being in the wrong room or a piece of equipment needs to be moved from one room to another within our department. How can I fix this?

Any movement of equipment should be documented by using the Group Dept Audit (Cycle Controllable Property) function in Asset Panda. For Asset Panda information and instructions, please visit


7. What is the procedure for accepting donations of equipment or artwork?

The Board of Trustees realizes the importance of voluntary charitable support from many sources, such as corporations, companies, and individual donors. In order to insure continued benefit from this generosity and meet requirements established by the IRS, it is important that the following procedures and guidelines are followed. The appearance of donor documents vary considerably; however, the procedure for processing donations is consistent.

Step 1: Determine whether the proposed gift should be accepted by the University.
The University may accept a gift if the value of the gift is greater than its attendant costs, including exposure to financial, legal and other risks.

Step 2: The Department acknowledges the gift in writing to the donor.

Step 3: Report the gift on Add Asset (Global) edoc in KFS:
A department receiving a gift reports the gift to the Plant Funds Office on an Add Asset (Global) e-doc. The department lists the donor’s name and address, a model or serial number, building and room number where the equipment is located, and an appraised value. If the gift is artwork, the department lists the name of the artist and title of painting or sculpture. The Add Asset (Global) e-doc is also used when accepting items donated through the UConn Foundation.

Step 4: Determine whether IRS Form #8283 is requested by the donor:
A Non-cash Charitable Contribution, IRS Form #8283, will be prepared if requested by the individual donor. The information regarding the donated property must be provided or completed by the donor, providing a concise description of the donated property, together with the physical condition and an appraised fair market value. (Click here for IRS instructions for Form 8283.)

The appraiser must be qualified to make appraisals of the type of property being valued and perform appraisals for the public on a regular basis. A copy of the appraisal, along with the appraisers signed declaration on Form 8283, must be received. The selection of the appraiser is the responsibility of the donor, along with the payment for this service.

Note: IRS Form 8283 applies to individual income tax deductions and not to corporations. Donations of products made by the corporation are business expenses of the corporation.


8. Does my department need to purchase insurance on its equipment?

In general, University property is covered by insurance provided by the State Insurance Purchasing Board. University property includes buildings and contents of buildings, personal property of employees, equipment owned by other organizations, University-owned property located off a campus, and motor vehicles.

The types and amount of insurance coverage are determined by the State Insurance Purchasing Board using the valuation of all real and personal property summarized on the Fixed Assets/Property Inventory Report/GAAP Reporting Form CO-59. The Plant Funds Office completes this form annually, as of June 30, and submits it to the State Comptroller. The information in this report is based upon the information in the fixed assets system.

Insurance claims are rarely paid because of the high deductible of the State. Separate insurance on computers can be reasonably purchased. Contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Business and Administration for information on the computer insurance.


9. A new piece of equipment has been delivered to our department, but has not yet been tagged. How can I get a tag put on it so that it may be distributed?

Under the current system, Inventory Control affixes tags to new equipment once it receives notice of payment. It is likely, however, that departments will actually receive the equipment prior to the payment being processed. In order to expedite distribution of equipment, we request that departments contact Inventory Control as soon as the equipment is received. The Inventory Control Office will send someone to your department to tag the new equipment, and it may then be distributed. This is particularly important regarding laptop computers because of their portability.